The BN Expediter – Back Issues: 2001-2008
Scroll down for a description and cover shot of each issue:
Please Note: These issues are no longer available in paper form. You can, however, download single issues in PDF form by selecting them (below), or download ALL 32 2001-2008 issues for $40 (each issue will be a single file PDF format).
The January 2001 issue (20 pages) contains:
- 6th Subdivision Yellowstone Division, by Wade Griffis
The ex-CB&Q line from Bridger Jct, Wyoming to Laurel, Montana, now the Casper Sub (with map, timetable and photos).
- Along The Line
Photos and captions of interesting rail activity around the system.
- Tie Distribution Train Between Bemidji and Bagley, Minnesota, by Martin Evoy III
Chronicles the activity of the train dropping ties along the line on July 17, 1998.
The April 2001 color issue (20 pages) contains:
- Fargo, North Dakota Hot Spot, by Duane Durr and Micheal Farley
Facilities and activities in and around Fargo (with map, timetables and photos).
The July 2001 issue (16 pages) contains:
- Oregon Electric Subdivision Eugene Hauler, by Kristopher Johnson
Operations on this interesting line (with maps, timetable and photos).
The October 2001 issue (20 pages) contains:
- Where Do The Trains Go? H-EVEPAS1-16, by David Cooley
A summary of the car destinations on the named train of February 16, 2001 (with map, data and photos).
- BNSF Freight Car Deliveries: Year 2000, by Doug Stark
A summary of new cars (with data and photos).
- The Name of the Game is Competition 1980-1983, by John Strauss
Chapter 6 of John’s The Burlington Northern, An Operational Chronology – 1970-1995, describing BN operations during 1980-1983.
The January 2002 issue (20 pages) contains:
- BN Locomotive Chronicles 1981, by Dave Poplawski and Andrew Weusthoff
Activities, acquisitions, dispositions (with photos).
- Boeing 737 Transport Cars, by Markus Zöschg
Building one in HO scale (with photos).
The April 2002 issue (12 pages) contains:
- BNSF 2001 Locomotive Roster Activity
Purchases and dispositions (with photos).
The July 2002 issue (16 pages) contains:
- Locomotives Repainted in 2001
A complete list of repaintings (with photos).
- Freight Car Repair Facilities and Parts at Williston, North Dakota, by Martin Evoy III
Repair equipment and materials (with photos).
- Along The Line
Photos and info of activity around the system.
The October 2002 color issue (16 pages) contains:
- A Night Dispatching the Pasco East Division, by Blair Kooistra
Managing trains on October 25, 2001 (with timetable, dispatching screen shots, and photos).
- BNSF Freight Car Deliveries: 2001, by Doug Stark
All new cars for the year (with data).
The January 2003 issue (16 pages) contains:
- BN Wreckers – A Partial List, by John Taubeneck
A list of 43 wreckers (with diagrams, data and photos).
- BNSF Wreckers
The four remaining wreckers as of 2001 (with photos).
The April 2003 issue (16 pages) contains:
- BN’s B30-7A Locomotives, by Dereck Reiter
History, heritage and modeling notes (with photos).
The July 2003 issue (16 pages) contains:
- An Interview with Henry E. Frick, BNSF Casper Subdivision Dispatcher, by Dave Poplawski
Personal reflections on dispatching (with timetable, documents and photos).
- BN Equipment, by Peter Ferch
Information on the BN 460000-460199 series 4-bay ACF covered hoppers (with diagram and photos)
The October 2003 color issue (16 pages) contains:
- BNSF Freight Car Deliveries: 2002, by Doug Stark
A list of new cars (with photos).
- BN (BNSF) SD9s Sold
10 SD9s sold to the Tillamook Bay RR (with photos).
The January 2004 issue (16 pages) contains:
- The National Academy of Railroad Science, by Jerry Pitts
BNSF’s technical training center in Overland Park, KS (with photos).
- BN Equipment, by Peter Ferch
Company service tank cars (not fuel tenders) (with diagrams and photos).
- CTC Reaches Seattle
A short article on the installation of CTC in the Seattle area (with track diagrams).
The April 2004 issue (20 pages) contains:
- Spokane, Washington Hot Spots, by Kristopher Johnson
The best trainwatching spots in the area (with maps, yard diagrams, timetables and photos).
The July 2004 issue (12 pages) contains:
- BN’s C30-7 Locomotive
Photos and captions of a collection of C30-7’s in main line action.
- Train Order 350: Why is the North Coast Hiawatha backing into a siding? by Dave Poplawski
An analysis of a very pecular backup move (with train order and timetable).
The October 2004 color issue (16 pages) contains:
- BNSF Freight Car Deliveries: 2003, by Doug Stark
New cars (with photos).
- A collection of color photos of SD60M 1991 and Freedom caboose.
The January 2005 issue (20 pages) contains:
- Locomotive Chronicles: 1982, by Dave Poplawski
Short article of purchases, retirements and activities, with lots of photos
- Green Block
An excerpt from Burlington Northern Adventures; Railroading in the Days of the Caboose, by William Brotherton
The April 2005 issue (20 pages) contains:
- BN/BNSF in the Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior 1970 to 2005, by Dave Poplawski
A long article with map and lots of photos
- The Last 757, by Andrew Klamka
A short article about the last Boeing 757 transported by BNSF, with several photos
The July 2005 issue (16 pages) contains:
- BNSF’s Dickinson West Subdivision in Photos and Words, by Mark Dinnauer
A long article with lots of photos
- Cascade Green, by John Tenerowicz and Rick Spano
How to mix model paint to match BN colors
The October 2005 color issue (16 pages) contains:
- The Essex Depot, by Dave Poplawski
A short article with photos and sample train order
- Lake Superior Terminal & Transfer Railway Company, by Jerry Pitts
A short article with several photos
- BN Locomotives
Color photos of trains with green BN power
The January 2006 issue (16 pages) contains:
- New Bridge Opens for Traffic, by William Cornwell
A short article with photo of bridge
- Burlington Northerns MoW Trucks, by John Becker
A short article with 10 photos
- BN Time Tracks: Lagrange, Illinois, by William Miotek
Photos taken in 1986, 1995 and 2005
The April 2006 issue (20 pages) contains:
- The Denver Railroad Scene, by Joe Snider
An historical comment on why it looks that way, with maps and lots of photos
The July 2006 issue (20 pages) contains:
- Burlington Northern Locomotive Chronicles: 1983, by Dave Poplawski
Locomotive acquisitions, retirements, activities with photos (including fuel tenders)
The October 2006 color issue (20 pages) contains:
- Big Green Caterpillar, by Andrew Weusthoff
A long article about Cat-powered SD40-2 6330, with detailed photos
- Wade Griffis’ BN Heartland Division, by Dave Poplawski
A long article about Wade’s HO scale layout, including photos
- The Oakways
Roster and action photos
The January 2007 issue (20 pages) contains:
- BN Snow Dozers, by Jerry Pitts
A long article with roster info, data and photos
- BN Time Tracks
Seattle near King Street Station in 1983 and 2003
- The End of Train Location Lineups, by Henry Frick
A short article with sample handwritten and typed lineups of the Cody Subdivision
The April 2007 issue (20 pages) contains:
- Bismark/Mandan, North Dakota Today, by Jerry Olson and Kent Charles
A long article with maps and photos
The July 2007 issue (20 pages) contains:
- The Beaverton Switcher, by Kristopher Johnson
A long article on its history, with maps and photos
- BN Time Tracks
Tacoma trackage 1984 versus 2007
- MOW Equipment, by Jerry Pitts
A propane-fueled CWR heater car
The October 2007 color issue (20 pages) contains:
- Round the Horn: A Valuable Piece of Railroad, by Earl Currie
A long article about the Mendota-Denrock (IL) Line
- A review of the book, by Micheal Farley
Burlington Northern in Color, Volume 1: The Urge to Merge
- 2007 Convention Report, by John Adams
Activities and events.
- Helpers on Stevens Pass, by Brian Ambrose
A short article with lots of BW and color photos
The January 2008 issue (16 pages) contains:
- Interview with Wilbur Gulbranson
GN/BN operator at the Essex depot.
- Dawn to Dusk at Donkey Creek, by Dave Poplawski
An account of all trains on June 20, 2006.
- Along the Line
A collection of photos from various locations.
The April 2008 issue (12 pages) contains:
- BN 626027: Modeling a unique Bulkhead Flatcar, by Lieutenant John M. Baker, US Navy
How to, with diagram and photos.
- Dawn to Dusk at Donkey Creek
A list of all trains on June 20, 2006.
- Lincoln, Nebraska area yards
Current and historical (1970) yard diagrams.
The July 2008 issue (24 pages) contains:
- The NP & SP&S: Analysis of the Routes Between Spokane and Pasco, Washington, by Earl Currie
A retrospective on the decision to abandon the SP&S route in the early 1980’s.
The October 2008 color issue (20 pages) contains:
- King Street Track Improvement Project, by Kristopher Johnson
A short article about recent Seattle area changes, with photos and maps.
- BN America’s 48′ Flat Rack Containers, by John Becker
A short article with data and color photos, both loaded and empty.
- 2008 Convention Report, by Gary Seymour
Activities and events.